I absolutely love taking pictures. Where I am, you will normally find my phone or camera out. The only occasions that I do not bring it out is when I just want to enjoy family time and not get distracted. Over the years, since my family went to a digital camera, I have found that all my pictures stayed stored on my computer or external hard drive. None get printed and none get put in albums. I have known that I needed to change this but I just have been lazy about it. Not anymore! I’m absolutely hooked on the new Shutterfly Photo Story for iPad app.
I finally made a book (well, actually 3 now) and finally had two of them printed. I have been waiting with bated breath to receive them and when my two Shutterfly packages arrived today I dropped everything to take a look.
Aren’t they just beautiful? The back one I put together on the Shutterfly website and ordered a day before the hardcover book that I ordered from the Shutterfly iPad app. Which one is my favorite? Well, I love love the 4th of July one but the quality of the hardbound that I ordered from the iPad app beats the soft cover completely.
Here’s a little peek into our photobook:
Now to tell you about the new app. I had a chance to review it and order my book (free of charge for this review) and I absolutely love being able to build it from my iPad. I wasn’t tied to my computer and so my husband even found me working on this book in bed right before going to sleep at night. You could see me sitting outside in the yard completing my book. I’m a bit of a perfectionist so any picture book takes me a LONG time to build.
Things I love about the app:
1. You do not have to be connected to your computer to download pictures. You can use instagram, Facebook, your photos off your iPad, or even pictures you uploaded to Shutterfly. Since many of my pictures were on my computer I uploaded the ones I knew I wanted up to Shutterfly and then accessed them from the iPad app. So easy!
2. How you can tell your story. This is great for young ones you can not read yet. This will allow them to hear the story as they “flip” the pages on your iPad or other mobile device. Your printed book also has a QR code that lets you view a digital version and hear recorded messages. This is the only Photobook app that allows you to add audio.
3. All the layout out choices you have. There are not as many on the iPad app as there are on the Shutterfly internet page but there are still quite a lot.
4. The background choices. I love how many different prints and colors there were. There were several different styles of books you could chose and each one had different background choices. Again not as many as online but still a lot for an app.
5. How easy it is to share your book. What a wonderful way to allow my family members to see our memories. I do not share every picture I take on Facebook and certainly do not share the WHOLE story so this is a unique way to share our precious memories with friends and family.
Things I would love changed about the app:
1. I would love to see Dropbox added to the list of ways you can add pictures. I use my Samsung S4 to take a ton of pictures and it would be wonderful I could upload them to my Dropbox and access it from this app.
2. I would love see the recordings on only the page you want the recording to play on.
3. Being a former scrapbooker, I would love to see more background, layouts added. I would also love to see “stickers” and other elements added. Since this is an app, I don’t know if this is possible but it would make this app even better.
4. There were times I found the app to be difficult to work with and I would love to see a save option and a way to access your book from your Internet account. I did actually lose a book I was working on and that did frustrate me a little but once I finished my book, it was worth it.
To download this awesome app, just click on the image below.
Now to win your own! One Empowering Mommy will win one 8×8 hardcover photobook (to be ordered through the app). Enter the Rafflecopter below.